Remote team building is essential for building strong relationships and fostering a sense of community among team members who are not physically located in the same place. However, finding remote team building activities that are actually fun and engaging can be challenging.
In this article, I’ll share a few remote team building activities that I’ve found to be successful with my own remote team. These activities are all relatively easy to set up and run, and they’re designed to help team members get to know each other better, collaborate on tasks, and have fun together.
1. Virtual escape room
Virtual escape rooms are a great way to get your team working together to solve puzzles and escape a virtual room. There are a number of different virtual escape room providers available, so you can find one that’s right for your team’s interests and budget.
2. Virtual scavenger hunt
Virtual scavenger hunts are another fun and engaging team building activity. To create a virtual scavenger hunt, simply create a list of items that your team members need to find online or in their own homes. You can make the scavenger hunt as challenging or easy as you like, depending on your team’s interests and abilities.
3. Virtual trivia night
Virtual trivia nights are a great way to test your team’s knowledge and have some fun at the same time. There are a number of different virtual trivia providers available, or you can create your own trivia questions.
4. Virtual happy hour
Virtual happy hours are a great way for team members to socialize and get to know each other better. To host a virtual happy hour, simply schedule a time for your team members to meet online and grab a drink. You can encourage your team members to dress up, share their favorite drinks and snacks, and play some games.
5. Virtual talent show
Virtual talent shows are a great way for team members to showcase their talents and have some fun. To host a virtual talent show, simply ask your team members to submit videos of themselves performing their talents. You can then compile the videos into a montage and share it with your team.
Tips from my own personal experience
Here are a few tips from my own personal experience in hosting remote team building activities:
- Choose activities that are relevant to your team’s interests. This will help to ensure that your team members are engaged and having fun.
- Make sure the activities are easy to set up and run. You don’t want to spend more time trying to figure out how to run the activity than you do actually doing it.
- Keep the activities short and sweet. Remote team members often have limited time, so it’s best to choose activities that can be completed in 30-60 minutes.
- Encourage team members to participate. Some team members may be hesitant to participate in remote team building activities, so it’s important to encourage them to join in. You can do this by making the activities optional and by creating a positive and supportive environment.
What are some of the benefits of remote team building?
Remote team building can help to:
- Improve communication and collaboration among team members.
- Foster a sense of community among team members.
- Increase team morale and engagement.
- Reduce stress and burnout.
How often should I host remote team building activities?
I recommend hosting remote team building activities at least once a month. However, you can host them more or less often depending on your team’s needs and interests.
What are some other remote team building activities that I can try?
There are many other remote team building activities that you can try. Here are a few ideas:
- Virtual book club
- Virtual cooking class
- Virtual game night
- Virtual yoga or fitness class
- Virtual meditation class
- Virtual charity walk or run
Remote team building is essential for building strong relationships and fostering a sense of community among remote team members. By following the tips above, you can host remote team building activities that are actually fun and engaging.