Hey there, fellow adventurers! If you’re an RV enthusiast like me, you know that proper RV storage is crucial for keeping your home-on-wheels in tip-top shape. Whether you’re storing it for the winter or just need a place to keep it when not on the road, this quick guide to RV outdoor storage has got you covered. I’m Doug, and I’ve been there, done that, so let’s dive in!
Finding the Perfect Outdoor Storage Spot
Location, Location, Location
The first step in outdoor RV storage is finding the right spot. Here are some tips:
- Consider Proximity: Look for storage facilities or locations that are conveniently close to your home or travel routes.
- Security Matters: Ensure the storage area has proper security measures like gated access, surveillance cameras, and on-site personnel.
- Climate Control: If extreme weather is a concern, consider indoor storage or a facility that offers climate-controlled options.
RV Prep for Outdoor Storage
Before You Say Goodbye
Properly preparing your RV for outdoor storage is essential to avoid damage and maintain its condition:
- Clean Thoroughly: Give your RV a good cleaning, inside and out, to prevent mold, mildew, and critter infestations.
- Empty and Clean Tanks: Drain all water tanks, including the freshwater, gray water, and black water tanks. Add RV antifreeze to prevent freezing.
- Disconnect Batteries: Disconnect or remove the RV’s batteries to prevent them from draining during storage.
- Cover Up: Consider using an RV cover to protect against UV damage and the elements.
Maintenance During Storage
Keeping It Shipshape
While your RV is in storage, don’t forget about it. Periodic maintenance is key:
- Check Tires: Ensure proper tire pressure and consider using tire covers to protect against UV damage.
- Rodent Prevention: Use rodent repellent and traps to keep unwanted critters out of your RV.
- Battery Maintenance: Charge or maintain your RV’s batteries according to manufacturer recommendations.
- Ventilation: Crack open a window or two to allow for airflow and prevent a stuffy interior.
FAQ : Your RV Storage Questions Answered
Q1. Can I store my RV in my backyard?
- A: It depends on local regulations and the available space. Check with your city or county for guidelines.
Q2. Should I leave my RV’s refrigerator running in storage?
- A: It’s generally recommended to turn it off, clean it, and prop the door open to prevent mold and odors.
Q3. How often should I check on my RV in storage?
- A: Check at least once a month to ensure everything is in order.
Q4. Do I need to put my RV on blocks during storage?
- A: It’s a good idea to prevent tire damage, especially if you’re storing it for an extended period.
Q5. Can I store items inside my RV during outdoor storage?
- A: It’s generally okay, but avoid perishables and items that might attract pests.
With this quick guide to RV outdoor storage, you’re well on your way to keeping your RV safe and sound between your epic journeys. Happy camping, and may your RV always be ready for the next adventure! 🚐💨